PHA UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Available Forums > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your DLA car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your DLA car
    Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 9:58pm

Nobody could have been more surprised than I was when I learned that I could have my 17-year-old son as a named driver on my DLA insurance policy.  Certain models that appear on the Motability website make the point of forbidding anyone under 25 years from driving, but this is a lad who just passed his driving-test, at the first attempt, only last April.  We have paid nearly £1,500.00 to have him as a named driver on his Nanny’s little Fiat, so to find out he could drive mine for an additional £73.00 p.a. came as something of a shock!

OK, so there are additional factors, like an insurance excess of £450.00 for any claim where he is the driver, but that is reduced to £300.00 if he has taken the ‘PassPlus’, which he has.

The question arises, however, that the DLA  car must be of principal benefit to the disabled person in whose name the car is registered, regardless of whether or not they can drive. A disabled teenager of 16 can qualify to drive; DLA cars can be fitted with mobility aids that enable even the most challenged paraplegic to live independently.  A blind person can qualify, too. It must, therefore, be understood that the car is for the principal benefit of the claimant.

As a DLA driver, I am only too happy to let my wife take the car to go to Tesco; I will benefit from the things she buys.  My lad can now drive my car to the pharmacy to collect my prescriptions; that’s a benefit.  And if he is prepared to share the driving when we go and watch the Wolves play, well, that’s a benefit, too. But he can’t use it to drive to the V Festival or Glastonbury.

Having someone to share the driving is one obvious benefit, and someone who can run errands when you don’t feel up to it yourself is another.

The present cost of motor-insurance for under-24s is a huge impediment to young people gaining driving experience; in fact, the premium is increased when the young driver passes their driving-test. For those reaching the age of 25, premiums are reduced quite significantly, provided there have been no claims, of course, and, as an additional bonus, for someone of that age who can show evidence of having been a named driver on another policy, there will be further reductions.

Richard

knowledge is for sharing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic